Monday, August 23, 2010

Bears in the Pears?


Caleb with his fox
Apparently the black bears in Arizona move down into lower elevations during the summer months to take advantage of the ripening fruit that adorns the prickly pear cactus in the foothills.  This idiosyncratic behavior of Arizona bruins makes for quite the hunting opportunity - assuming of course, that you can actually find them.

Gray Fox
We braved the blazing furnace that makes Arizona a premier destination for people with poor circulation but just couldn't turn up any bears.  We glassed the morning and set a couple stands for calling, where my buddy Caleb took his first varmint ever, a gray fox!

Badlands 4500, Manfroto Tripod, Ruger M77 in .243 Win.
The fox came charging in at about the 5 second mark, and Caleb had to shoot from the hip in self-defense when the little beast appeared at a few short feet.  Congratulations on your first kill! This will be the first of many more I'm sure.

Unfortunately the local bears didn't share the foxes enthusiasm for our calls, and the remainder of the day was rather uneventful.  We posted up for a little napping action under an unreasonably sparsely vegetated mesquite tree, hoping to take advantage of some shade that just wasn't there.  That afternoon and evening found us sitting several more stands and calling - to no avail.

The Mogollon Rim can be seen on the Horizon
I opted to switch game plans and head for the higher (and cooler) country in hopes of turning up a boar in the mountains.   There was considerably more bear sign, but the country was brutal, too thick for any glassing.  I tried my hand at still-hunting, the way I had learned to pursue mule deer growing up.  I was able to slip in on some bull elk, but the bears eluded me still.

I made one stand and at about the twenty minute mark I called in my first bobcat!  Unfortunately by the time I realized my fine accomplishment the cat had me pegged and was 180 degrees and full throttle away into the thick.  Oh well.





Lots of game spotted for two days of hunting.  Here's a breakdown of the sightings:
6 Coues whitetailed deer
3 bull elk
2 gray fox
1 mule deer
1 bobcat
0 bears

But I can't complain.  I got to hunt bear for my first time, and I got to see some amazing country and spend some quality time with friends.  All the makings of a successful hunt.


Epic pose for the self timer and a tribute to Captain Morgan!

2 comments:

  1. Nice story and pictures Jon. Keep on keeping on!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. joe also said in his famous movie life is a garden so dig it!; that was the other joe D. though.

    ReplyDelete